| The Good News
Keys to Life
Verses were taken from the New International Version (Anglicised)
1. Wasn't the Bible just written by men?
- 2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed.
- 2 Peter 1:21 men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
2. Can we trust what the Bible says?
- Matt 5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
3. Why do we need the Bible?
- Matt 4:4 "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
4. How can the Bible help us in our everyday life?
- 2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
5. What is the greatest benefit we can receive from reading the Bible?
- John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.
1. Who is God?
- Acts 17:24-25 The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And He is not served by human hands, as if He needed anything, because He Himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.
2. How many true Gods are there?
- Isa 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God.
3. Is it possible for us to learn the truth about God?
- Rom 1:20 Since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities -- His eternal power and divine nature-- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
- Heb 1:1 In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,
- Ps 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
4. Is there any other way in which God has made Himself known to us?
- Heb 1:2 in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son,
5. What is the nature of God?
- Rev 15:3b "Great and marvellous are your deeds, Lord God Almighty. Just and true are your ways, King of the ages."
- Ps 145:8-9 The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. The LORD is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made.
- 1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all.
- 1 John 4:8-9 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed His love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him.
- Isa 40:28 The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no-one can fathom.
- Isa 57:15 For this is what the high and lofty One says -- He who lives for ever, whose name is holy: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.
6. Did God have a beginning?
- Ps 90:2 Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
7. What does God require of us?
- Acts 17:30 now He commands all people everywhere to repent.
- 1 John 3:23 And this is His command: to believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as He commanded us.
- Deut 10:12 And now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
- Matt 22:37-39 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.'
8. What relationship does this great and holy God have to our present world?
- Dan 4:32 the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone He wishes.
- Acts 14:17 He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; He provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.
9. Does it make any difference to God how we as individuals live in this world?
- Heb 4:13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
10. Isn't God too great to be concerned about our needs and problems?
- Matt 10:29-30 Are not two sparr ows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
11. I don't believe in God.
Christians approach God through Christ:
- 1 John 1:2 The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us.
- John 1:18 No-one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.
- John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
12. I believe in God; why must I believe in Christ?
- John 12:44 Then Jesus cried out, "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me.''
- John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me.''
- Acts 4:12 ''Salvation is found in no-one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
- 1 John 2:23 No-one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
- 1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men.
13. Is it possible for us to understand God and His ways completely?
- God is far greater than we can ever understand. Rom 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable His judgments, and His paths beyond tracing out!
MAN AND SIN
1. What is sin?
- Rom 14:23b everything that does not come from faith is sin.
- Mark 7:21-23 For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and make a man 'unclean'.
- Heb 3:12 See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.
- 1 John 5:17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.
2. What does the sin of Adam and Eve have to do with us?
- Rom 5:12 Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned--
3. Is everyone guilty before God?
- 1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
- Isa 53:6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
- Ps 14:2-3 The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no-one who does good, not even one.
- Rom 3:10 There is no-one righteous, not even one;
- Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
4. What effect does sin have to our relationship with God?
- Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear.
- Ps 66:18 If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;
- John 3:36b Whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.
- John 3:18b Whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
5. What is the end result of sin?
- Rom 5:12 Therefore death came to all men, because all sinned.
- Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Ezek 18:4b The soul who sins is the one who will die.
- John 3:36b Whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.
6. Can man, unchanged, understand the ways of God?
- 1 Cor 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- Isa 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.''
7. Cannot a loving God simply overlook the fact that we are all sinners?
- Num 14:18 The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet He does not leave the guilty unpunished;
- Ezek 33:11 Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?'
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
- Acts 17:30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent.
1. Who is Jesus Christ?
- Heb 1:3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His being, sustaining all things by His powerful word.
2 Why did God send His Son into the world?
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
3. How did Jesus come into our world?
- Luke 1:26-27 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary.
- Matt 1:18 His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit.
4. Why was He given the name 'Jesus'?
- Matt 1:21 and you are to give him the name Jesus, because He will save his people from their sins.
5. What did Jesus do while He was on earth?
- Matt 9:35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness.
- Luke 7:48 Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
6. How did Jesus die?
- Mark 15:16-20
The soldiers...put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him. And they began to call out to him, "Hail, king of the Jews!" Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spat on him. Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him. And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him out to crucify him.
(For a fuller account of the death of Jesus, read Matthew 26 and 27, Mark 14 and 15, Luke 22 and 23, and John 18 and 19.)
7. Was Jesus crucified because He had done something wrong?
- 1 Peter 2:22-23 "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth." When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.
8. Why then did He suffer and die?
- Isa 53:4-9
Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
- He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth. By oppression and judgment he was taken away. And who can speak of his descendants? For he was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgression of my people he was stricken. He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth.
- Rom 5:6-11
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through Him!
For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to Him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through His life! Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
9. What happened to Jesus' body after He was buried?
- Acts 2:24 God raised Him from the dead, freeing Him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on Him.
(The story of Jesus' resurrection is given in Matt 28:1-10, Mark 16:1-8, Luke 24:1-49, and John 20 and 21)
10. What is Jesus doing now?
- Heb 9:24 He entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God's presence.
John 14:2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.
1. What does it really mean for a person to be "saved"?
- John 1:12 Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.
- 1 John 1:7 the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
- 1 John 5:11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
2. If God Himself said that the wages of sin is death, how can He forgive my sins without punishing me?
- Isa 53:5-6 He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Mark 10:45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.
- Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- 1 Cor 15:3-4 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures.
- Rom 5:6-8 when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- 1 Peter 1:18-19 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
3. Is God actually willing to forgive all my sins?
- Isa 1:18 Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.
4. What must I do to be saved?
- Acts 3:19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out.
- Acts 16:31 Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-- you and your household.
- John 10:9a I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.
- Rom 10:9-10 if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
5. Why did Christ die to save me?
- Titus 2:14 [Jesus] gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Himself a people that are His very own, eager to do what is good.
- Titus 3:5a He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy.
- Heb 9:22b, 26b without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness...now [Christ] has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
- 1 Peter 1:18-19 you were redeemed...with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
- 1 Peter 3:18a For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.
- 2 Cor 5:19a God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them.
6. Why can't I earn or merit salvation by trying to live a good life?
- Eph 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no-one can boast.
7. Can I be sure that my sins are forgiven?
- Rom 4:25 He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.
- Heb 1:3 After He had provided purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
- Acts 10:43 everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins through His name.
- Ps 103:12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.
- 1 John 5:11-13 God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
8. When does eternal life begin?
- John 6:47 I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.
9. Is it important to confess my faith in Christ publicly?
- Rom 10:9-10 If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
10. Can believers be absolutely sure that they have eternal life?
- John 5:24 whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.
- 1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
11. What happens to believers when they die?
- Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."
- 2 Cor 5:1 Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.
- 2 Cor 5:8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
- Phil 3:20-21 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body.
1. I am a good person. I do good deeds.
- Matt 5:27-28 "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- Gal 2:16 …So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no-one will be justified.
- Eph 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no-one can boast.
2. I'm not a sinner.
- 1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
3. My sins are too great.
- 1 Tim 1:15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-- of whom I am the worst.
- Isa 1:18 "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.
4. But I'm enjoying myself now.
- Mark 8:35 -37 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?
- 1 John 2:15 ,17 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him... The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives for ever.
- John 10:10 …I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
5. I've tried to be a Christian.
- 1 John 5:4-5 This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
- 2 Cor 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
6. I'll have to see before I will believe.
- Ps 34:8 Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
- John 20:29 Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
7. I can be a good Christian without going to church.
- John 10:16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.
8. There are so many hypocrites in the church.
The Reason Why Click here to read "The Reason Why"
- Rom 14:12 -13 So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling-block or obstacle in your brother's way.
- Rom 8:8-9 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God. You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
Robert A. Laidlaw discusses some of the most basic questions of the soul,
including Is there a God? Is the Bible true? Is man accountable? Is there divine forgiveness?
Updated in the NKJV version.
Are you born again? Click here to read "Are you born again?"